Saturday Box Live: Weekend (Make Your Own) Roundup
Saturday, February 05 2005 @ 12:13 PM EST
Contributed by: Mick Doherty
Here are a few of the things going on in the Tepid Lukewarm Stove League ...
A few nugggets from Lee Sinins and other various and sundry sources:
- Dodgers SP Darren Dreifort will have his fourth shoulder surgery since September next month. File this under "Least Shocking Announcements of the Off-Season."
- The Rockies are talking about trading C Charles Johnson to the Devil Rays. Sounds like bad news for Kevin Cash.
- The Yankees, continuing their offseason casting of "Returning Relievers: Bronx Bullpen II," are eyeing Ramiro Mendoza, another Joe Torre favorite.
- The Rangers, after announcing a commitment to young pitching, inked Pedro Astacio, who will fill in with Kenny Rogers and Ryan Drese to form a front three that would absolutely terrify the Taiwanese Little Leage champs.
- Legendary overstater Tim Kurkjian makes the case for Sammy Sosa as the greatest Cub ever. Uh, Tim? There's a Mr. Banks on line 1 for you.
- A couple of days back, the Cubbies replaced Sosa with Jeromy Burnitz How's THAT going to work out for them?
- Noted Dominican hurler Doug Linton (Doug Linton?) fired seven shutout innings in beating Puerto Rico for the DR yesterday in the Caribbean World Series.