Today was the first day of camp for pitchers and catchers. Sunday was physicals day and the pitchers will start their throwing programs tomorrow. The pitchers are alone for a few days until Thursday when position players are due to report. The first spring training game is a week from Wednesday, on the 26th.
Off the field there is nothing new to report. Depending on which report you believe any of the following could be true:
- the remaining free agents might not sign until mid-March
- some of the free agents might not sign until June, with Morales being the prime candidate for this theory
- the news last week that the price for the free agents was reasonable caused several teams to re-engage with the agents
- the cost of the first round pick has scared off so many teams that the Jays are the only bidders at this point
- the Orioles, Mariners, Jays, Yankees, are all interested in the free agent pitchers
- the price for a starter is down to 3 years, and $27M
- the price for a starter hasn't budged much, it's still in the 4 year, $60M range
- the Blue Jays are ready to jump on one of the remaining pitchers
- the Blue Jays only have $9M per year to offer a free agent
Who knows what to believe? I don't.
In other news the Red Sox saved $13M on Sunday when Ryan Dempster decided not to pitch in 2014. He was likely the sixth starter for the Red Sox and sitting in the bullpen until an injury happened.