Fun Jay Stats
Friday, April 24 2020 @ 09:21 PM EDT
Contributed by: John Northey
The BR game finder is free at the moment so I dug in a bit for silly Jay records.
- Over 9 IP in a single game
- 27 times it has happened
- First Jerry Garvin on 1977-05-25 (9 2/3 IP, 6 R 3 ER - crazy he was left in that long)
- Last Roy Halladay on 2007-04-13 (10 IP 107 pitches, won 2-1)
- Just 2 in the 2000's (both by Halladay), 1 in the 90's (Tom Candiotti), 18 in the 80's, 6 in the 70's.
- Most: Dave Stieb 7 times, 3 each Dave Lemanczyk (2 starts in a row and one other time in 1977, all parts of double headers), Jim Clancy, Jimmy Key; 2 each for Roy Halladay, Jim Gott, Jesse Jefferson,
- 12 innings longest - twice, 1978-05-23 by Jefferson, 1980-05-17 by Stieb.
- Pitches in a game (not available for most games before 1988, so missing those crazy games by Stieb)
Boy the game has changed for endurance eh?
- Most K's as a reliever in a game
- Jose Nunez on 1987-07-04 came in the 2nd inning and pitched the rest of the game 6 2/3 IP K'ing 9 guys. Thought he'd become something great at the time.
- 47 times a reliever had 6+ K's in a game.
- Most recent 6+ K relief games were last year - Trent Thornton on 2019-09-11 (5 IP), Jacob Waguespack on 2019-05-27 (4 IP 7 K's)
- 9 of them in the 2000's.
- Most impressive: Steve Delabar in 2 IP K'd 6 (0 H 0 BB, 26 pitches 19 strikes - but faced 7 as someone reached base on a 3rd strike passed ball, extra out was grounder 1B-P)
For those curious and wanting to dig in (please post stuff here for fun) go to Baseball Reference