Blue Jays Sign Kevin Gausman
Sunday, November 28 2021 @ 10:04 PM EST
Contributed by: John Northey
Well, the first big free agent signing by the Jays has happened. Five-years, $110 million.
The Jays have been after Gausman for a long time.
Like Ray he had a career best season - 145 ERA+, 192 IP over 33 starts, 6th in Cy voting, All-Star, even some MVP votes (21st overall) - all firsts for him at age 30. However, he has had success before.
Overall, probably a solid signing. Just over $20 mil per over 5 years is pretty good in todays market for a potential #1. A solid Ray replacement. Both carry the same 'was 2021 for real' issue, but Ray had wildness to a big degree in his very recent past, Gausman doesn't. A big bonus is no draft pick compensation needed as he took the QO last winter. So if this means Ray goes then it is basically a trade of Ray for Gausman & draft pick & whatever the spread in pay is between them. Not bad.
- ERA+ over 100 in 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020 (108 to 119)
- 170+ IP in 2016-2017-2018
- 100-115 IP in 2014-2015-2019
- over 10K/9 IP in 2019-2020-2021
- under 3 BB/9 in all years but 2014 (3.0 exactly) and 2017 (3.4)
- his big issue though has been home runs - last years 0.9 HR/9 IP was his first sub 1.2 since 2014.
More signings going on as I type...
More coming I'm sure. Everyone seems determined to sign before a lockout hits.
- Rangers sign Kole Calhoun for $5.2 mil for 1 year
- Angels sign Michael Lorenzen for $7 mil for 1 year
- Marlins Agree To Extension With Sandy Alcantara $56 mil over 5 years. (a guy I hoped the Jays could trade for)
- Rangers Sign Jon Gray for $56 mil over 4 years - dang, at that much I'd have liked the Jays to grab him, $14 mil per year, not bad.
- Rangers Sign Marcus Semien $175 mil over 7 years (many commenting in another thread on this)
- Marlins Sign Avisail Garcia for $53 mil over 4 years
- Rays Sign Corey Kluber $8-13 mil (incentives) for 1 year.
- Twins, Byron Buxton Agree To Extension $100 mil over 7 years