Wednesday, October 11 2017 @ 08:32 PM EDT
Contributed by: John Northey
A big question for 2018 is what is the Jays Payroll and how much is already used up?
Via Cot's Contacts we get...
Total: $142.904 million plus pre-arb crew (10 or so = $5-7 mil) ~ $148 million.
- ---Guaranteed Contracts---
- Russell Martin $20.0 mil
- Troy Tulowitzki $20.0 mil
- Marco Estrada $13.0 mil
- JA Happ $13.0 mil
- Kendres Morales $12.0 mil
- Steve Pearce $6.25 mil
- Justin Smoak $4.125 mil
- Lourdes Gurriel $1.929 mil
- ---Arbitration--- (projections via MLB Trade Rumors service time in brackets
- Josh Donaldson (5.158) – $20.7MM
- Aaron Loup (5.040) – $1.8MM
- Tom Koehler (4.090) – $6.0MM
- Ezequiel Carrera (4.039) – $1.9MM
- Marcus Stroman (3.148) – $7.2MM
- Kevin Pillar (3.113) – $4.0MM
- Ryan Goins (3.106) – $1.8MM
- Aaron Sanchez (3.069) – $1.9MM
- Devon Travis (3.000) – $1.7MM
- Roberto Osuna (3.000) – $5.6MM
- ---Jays choose what to pay (normally $500-750k each)---
- Dalton Pompey, Danny Barnes, and the rest
Note: $6 mil can be quickly saved by not offering Koehler a contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Osuana gets half of what MLBTR expects him to get (first year arb tends to be less). Still this gives a worst case for now. Leaving the Jays vs last years opening day payroll of $163.38 mil payroll roughly $15 mil space to work with. To stay near the top 10 they'll need to up that by another $10 mil I'd guess.