Schedule for 2021 - All Draft Picks Signed and Misc
Thursday, July 09 2020 @ 06:44 PM EDT
Contributed by: John Northey
Well, the Jays and all of MLB have already released 2021's schedule (far ahead of usual) probably to try to hype things up a bit before wave 2 hits this fall. The Jays signed all 5 of their draft picks - 5 years in a row they have signed their picks in the first 5 rounds (last missed was 2015 Brady Singer who is with the Royals, signed for 2019 season out of the first round in 2018).
The never ending off season continues.
- The 2021 schedule starts in NY vs the Yankees on April 1st. Home opener on April 8th. At home vs the Rays on Victoria Day, home vs the Mariners for July 1st, home on July 4th vs the Rays (seems dumb, but OK), home vs Cleveland for the Civic Holiday, on the road vs the Yankees for Labour Day. Regular season ends October 3rd vs the Orioles.
- Austin Martin signed for every penny he could get after the other 4 signed ($7,000,825). 4th round pick Nick Frasso signed for a lot less (below slot). FYI: Martin will be the 2nd Austin Martin to play professionally - another one played in C ball as a catcher in 1897/1898.
- Past drafts...
So few early round picks missed since the cap went into place - if you go back further far more were missed early on due to the higher risk that was worth taking. Thanks to Bluebird Banter for having signing tables nicely set up.
- 2019 the Jays signed their first 18 draft picks (missed #19 Gustavo Sosa)
- 2018 they signed up to round 21 when Kobby Lopez didn't sign.
- 2017 it was round 17 when the first got away (Kobie Russell)
- 2016 saw them miss the 13th rounder Chris Lincoln.
- 2015 (last AA draft) missed Brady Singer in the 2nd round and Marrick Crouse in the 11th.
- 2014 missed Zack Zehner in the 7th round and Jake Latz in the 11th.
- 2013 was the missing of their top pick Phillip Bickford who probably regrets not taking the money as he is stuck in A+ as a reliever, next miss that year wasn't until the 17th round (Eric Lauer).
- 2012 you need to go to the 11th round for a miss in Grant Heyman.
- 2011 was the Tyler Beede draft (1st Jay pick, DNS) then Andrew Chin (5th round), and a lot of others (this was pre-cap days so risks taken earlier).
- As many here expected the Jays are adding Austin Martin to the player pool. This will get him many PA's vs ML and near ML pitchers in camp thus speeding up his development.
- As is well known by now 12 players are held back due to 1 testing positive and the others having been in close contact. Hopefully this will resolve soon and no one will be strongly sick. No word amazingly on who it was (not officially released but often it is found out quickly for other teams).
As always, this is a great thread for the latest news/rumours/etc. about the Jays and MLB in general. Hopefully in two weeks we'll be talking about games and hoping to see Vlad tear the cover off like it is a home run contest every day.