Buffalo at Durham - postponed
- Doubleheader Sunday
- Daniel Norris will make his AAA debut in game 1
New Hampshire 5 Akron 2
- The starter was Michael Lee who the Jays just picked up from Arizona. Lee is a big 6'7" righty who was a mid-season all star in the southern league. Lee is 27 years old. Lee pitched six shutout innings.
- Andy Burns went 0-4 but he did play at second base. At the start of the season the Jays did say they were going to try and generate more positional flexibility with some of their infield prospects. They haven't done a lot of that but Burns has played 2B a few times now. Burns seems to be headed for a utility infielder spot, at least to start with in the major leagues. He can play all the infield positions.
- Jon Berti had two hits. Berti has improved his OPS every month with Aigist still young. His OPS by month is 622, 661, 746, 759, 783. Berti is a very fast right handed hitter who is good a 2B. He has a chance to make it to the majors too.
Tampa 2 Dunedin 1
- Dwight Smith had a home run, his ninth, for Dunedin's only run. The knock on Smith was his lack of power for a corner infielder. But the FSL is hard on home run hitters. Smith now has 5 in 157 AB's post the all-star break, that's 20 home run pace, decent for a 21 year old.
- Edwin Encarnacion went 1-3 in a rehab start. In the first he hit a ball off the pitcher that deflected to third for a single. In the the third he grounded out to the pitcher and in the fifth he reached on an error by the right fielder. The two infield balls suggest he would have had to run hard to test the quad.
- Pierce Rankin has never hit more than 230 in a season other than his first in the GCL. This season he hit .029 in New Hampshire but since reaching Dunedin two weeks ago he has been on fire. He is hitting .351 over his last ten games.
West Michigan 3 Lansing 2
- Matt Dean had two more hits with one a double. His BA is now .296. It will be interesting to see whether Dean or Mitch Nay is the Webster Award winner for Lansing.
- DJ Davis was 0-3 with 2 K's. He has 143 strikeouts for the season. Davis' numbers were being watched to see if his strikeout numbers would go down through the season to show he was getting better at recognizing pitches. Unfortunately they haven't improved to any material extent.
Vancouver 11 Tri-City 1
- Gunnar Heidt had two more hits and 3 RBI. Heidt has hit well in Vancouver. The Lansing infield situation for 2015 will be interesting, Barreto, Heidt, Urena will be in the mix.
- Jairo Labourt had an excellent start, 5.2 innings only one walk, eight K's. In Vancouver Labourt has 29 walks in 39 innings, much better than his Lansing numbers. Labourt also has 57 K's in those 49 innings.
- Yeyfry Del Rosario has similar numbers to Labourt's, in 19 innings he has 14 walks and 25 K's.
Princeton 3 Bluefield 2 - game 1
Princeton 5 Bluefield 2 - game 2
- Richard Urena had two hits in the nightcap and is hitting .349 over his last ten games.
- Rowdy Tellez had a hit in each game and is hitting .500 for August and .447 for his last ten games. Tellez has just 3 home runs but remember he is only 19.
- Josh Almonte had a couple of hits in game one. He is hitting .315 although he swings at everything, never walks and K's at a 27% rate. But he has shown a base to start from for a guy who was on nobody's radar at the start of the season.
GCL Blue Jays 2 GCL Phillies 3
- Angel Perdomo four shutout innings. His numbers are getting better and he could be in line for a Bluefield look before the end of the season.
- Franklin's older brother Deiferson had three hits and is hitting .286. He doesn't walk much and doesn't have much power but he is a useful player.
3rd star: Michael Lee
2nd star: Gunnar Heidt
1st star: Jairo Labourt