Batter's Box Interactive Magazine Batter's Box Interactive Magazine Batter's Box Interactive Magazine
High-school hotshot pitcher Rick Porcello has apparently been signed to a 4 year major league contract with the Tigers for 7.3 million.  Does this make sense?  Hmm, let's see.  $1.825 million per year.  2 year development time.  50% chance of flameout/arm problem (the Roger Salkeld/Brien Taylor Experience). 25% chance of inconsistency/arm problems (the Kerry Wood Syndrome), 25% chance of greatness (the Dwight Gooden Goldmine).  $8-$12 million per year for mediocre starting pitching on the free agent market as your alternative.

Economists, start your calculators.

[More] (1 words)
JP Ricciardi on the Fan590 this morning announced that the Jays had designated Royce Clayton for assignment after yesterdays game.  Per JP, John McDonald had won the shortstop job and the Jays did not feel they should keep Clayton around in a backup role.  JP said that the Jays would make a roster move before Fridays game, presumably to call-up Rey Olmedo.
[More] (79 words)
Teixeira to the Braves. Castillo to the Mets. Lohse to the Phillies. Betemit to the Yankees. Who's next?  Whatever happens, we won't get fooled again...

Here is your thread to discuss the trades of the day.

[More] (1 words)

Friend of Da Box Jamey Newberg reports:

"According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.com, Texas and Atlanta have agreed in principal on a trade that will send Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay to the Braves for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and two pitching prospects, pending a review of the players’ medical records."

Confirmation will be posted when we have it in hand. [Here it is: Atlanta || D/FW]

Your thoughts?

Craig Biggio will retire at the end of this season.  It has been a long and interesting ride for Biggio, which will now almost certainly end with a trip to Cooperstown. His career is an example of what can be done with a player with adaptability and a broad range of skills.  Paul Molitor, Pete Rose and Biggio come to mind quickly as examples.  The list of the greatest leadoff hitters ever is fascinating: Henderson, Raines, Biggio, Billy Hamilton, Boggs, Rose, Molitor, and Ichiro. Not all of them were likeable, but all had some qualities that one could admire.  Biggio certainly fits in.
[More] (1 words)
It's not often a major league manager calls it quits when his team has won seven games in a row. Mike Hargrove is doing just that.

And meanwhile, the Cincinnati Reds have dismissed Jerry Narron, exactly as Bauxites foretold when asked which manager was going to be the next sent packing.
[More] (1 words)
Frank Thomas hit #500 today, a 3 run shot off of Carlos Silva in the first inning.
[More] (1 words)
Frank Thomas hit his 499th home run of his career in the 4th inning.

Time for a contest! Home run number 500 will come against:
1.  What pitcher
2.  What Day
3.  What Inning

[More] (10 words)

Buster Olney is reporting that the St. Louis Cardinals have acquired LHSP Mike Maroth from the Detroit Tigers, for an as-yet-unspecified return.

Maroth is 50-62 in his seven-year career, all with Detroit, including a 5-2 mark this season and MLB's most recent 20-loss season (9-21) in 2003.

The St. Louis rotation has been riddled by injuries this year, to the point that earlier this week they signed ex-Jay Tomo Ohka. Is Maroth the (or at least an) answer?

Hard-throwing Justin Verlander threw the first no-hitter in Comerica Park history tonight in blanking the Milwaukee Brewers, 4-0.

It was the first Tiger no-hitter since Jack Morris threw one in 1984 and the first no-hitter in Detroit since Nolan Ryan of the Angels fired one of his two 1973 no-no's at Tiger Stadium.

It was the second no-hitter of 2007, following Mark Buehrle's gem against Texas in April. Batter's Box extends its congratulations to Verlander!

Now, then ... who's next?

[More] (1 words)